June 15, 2010

Wooby Versus Wooby


We've got a ton of toys in the house, but up until the last week or so, Grace hasn't had much interest in playing with any of them.  That's perfectly normal of course.  Like most babies, Grace has spent her first three months discovering herself and the world around her while receiving plenty of entertainment from her goofy parents.  I guess that Carrie, me and the house are getting to be old hat for our little girl though, because lately she's started interacting with her woobys.

When she gets a little sleepy, Grace soothes herself with a bit of playtime, grabbing for one of her two monkey woobys, pulling them close to her face and trying to chew on them before dozing off.  She hasn't picked a favorite yet, but mommy and daddy each have a different horse in the race.

Carrie's preference is for the brown monkey.  It's a practical choice, since its blue plastic feet will serve as a teething toy once Grace is ready, but beyond that, I don't see the upside.  It's got a big, dumb grin, which is just unsettling.  Plus, while it's feet may make it a worthwhile toy in the future, it's big, dumb head is too big for Grace to comfortably chew on now.  Lastly, meh.


My choice is obviously superior.  It's softer, awesomely blue, says "I'm bananas" on it and is part monkey part blanket, an obvious upgrade on a typical stuffed toy which teaches her a little bit about evolution (somehow).  And, more practically, the blanket portion makes it a little easier for Grace to handle.  Take a look, see for yourself how much better it is.


It may be a while until Grace makes up her mind about which is her favorite wooby.  But I'm patient, and I'm devious.  I'll have no problem hiding and mangling Carrie's stinky brown monkey in order to ensure that my favorite wins out in the end.  I'll do this not because it's an enormous amount of fun to bug mommy, but because it's clearly what's best for the baby.


No comments:

Post a Comment